Catching the Flattening Bug and the Great Debate of 2008

A simulpost with my blog on Edtechteacher Ning

Tonight I had dinner with Tom Daccord as we continued to prep for tomorrow's workshop. I must say that I am so impressed and continue to be impressed with The Great Debate of 2008. Tom, the project's founder shared how the project started with a simple few wiki pages and a Ning and how it basically took on a viral life of its own. He said that the students were so eager to share and far exceeded his expectations.

This is it! It is flattening. Authentic audiences with authentic research with differentiated artifacts and good teachers -- it is so powerful it is addictive.

As I listened to him talk, I could see it. I could see the glint. THAT GLINT. Sort of like an adrenaline junkie who has first gone skydiving and you know they are hooked -- the glint of someone who has seen the thrill of excellent, meaningful education where the students are motivated and just almost wear you out with how much they do. It is addictive and just great!

Now, we're getting ready for class tomorrow and you can see our agenda on the wiki. On Friday at 1 pm EDT we will be using Elluminate to reflect on what we have learned. (If you are in the workshop, feel free to share the agenda page - the link will be posted there on Friday morning. People from anywhere can participate as you have your Teacher Summit to reflect on what you have learned.)

I am so excited about this workshop - it has been a chance to take the materials and content that Julie and I have developed and take it to the next level!

So, if you're in the workshop - see you tomorrow!




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Popular Posts